Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pasadena Playhouse

Los Angeles County, September 3, 1996

The family poses at the theatre’s entrance

After closing for 17 years, and in and out of financial difficulties for most of its existence, especially after debt incurred after restoration, the theater filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2010 and was closed for four months till an anonymous donation of millions refloated the ship to reopen and operate today on a leaner and meaner manner. Gotta love Pasadena’s old money.

In its heyday the playhouse was an accredited college for theatre arts with notable actors such as Raymond Burr, Victor Mature, Ernest Borgnine, Eleanor Parker, Charles Bronson, Jamie Farr, Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman, and Sally Struthers training there. It was also one of the first televistion stations in Southern California and trained many of the early technicians going on to work in the new media.

At 686 seats, the theatre is a perfect size for intimate productions, and any Hollywood actor worth thier salt and with some downtime between sitcoms would jump at a call for a gig at the playhouse.

The playhouse is part of what the city calls the 'Historic Playhouse District', which includes the next landmark stop; the Pacific Asia Museum.

NO. 887 PASADENA PLAYHOUSE - Founded in 1917 by Gilmor Brown, the Pasadena Playhouse was designed by architect Elmer Grey and the cornerstone laid May 31, 1924. In 1928 the College of Theatre Arts was incorporated with the Pasadena Playhouse Association as a non-profit institution. In 1937, the Playhouse received the honorary title 'State Theatre of California' from the California Legislature. Location: 39 El Molino Ave, Pasadena
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: PASADENA
Google 34.145100,-118.137006

No comments:

Post a Comment