Right off the 605 and right on the corner of Whittier and Pioneer, this is one of those state historical landmarks that that you’d short list as a recommendation to someone new to landmark hunting.
Pio de Jesus Pico IV was a Californian, born in 1801 at Mission San Gabriel and passed away in 1894 in
Pico's family migrated to
Pico's home in 1903
Pio Pico began acquiring this land, originally part of the Mission San Gabriel, in 1848. The smallest of his many landholdings, he nicknamed his 8,893 acre ranch "El Ranchito" (the little ranch). Pico's adobe home was at El Ranchito's center.
Pico and his family hosted colorful balls with singing, dancing, and socializing. Such festivities at the Pico Adobe centered around the parlor and the adjoining patio. Pico Americanized his parlor by way of furnishings, wall coverings, and modern conveniences, but the hospitality was purely Californio.
During the 1850s, Pico owned more land than any other individual in
A side note here is the better half’s connection to Pio Pico in that her grandmother’s
NO. 127 CASA DE GOVERNOR PÍOPICO - Following the Mexican War, Pío Pico, last Mexican governor, acquired 9,000-acre Rancho Paso de Bartolo and built here an adobe home that was destroyed by the floods of 1883-1884. His second adobe casa, now known as
USGS Quadrangle Sheet Name: WHITTER