Just 2 miles from the previous landmark site we come to the site of San Francis Ranch and its relatively new plaque dedicated in 1985 by the ever vigilant Slim Princess Chapter 395 of E Clampus Vitus. With unobstructed views of the White Mountains to the east and the Sierras to the west, it’s easy to imagine this region just as Samuel Bishop did, as excellent grazing land for cattle and thus much closer access to supply beef to the thriving mines to the north. Ultimately the practice of raising free range cattle didn’t take into consideration the delicate eco-balance of subsistence foods for the Paiute people and despite earlier agreements, a war broke out.
Bishop was already well established in the grapevine region as a landowner, cattleman, and even justice of the peace, presiding over disputes and rodeos. A rodeo back then was when range cattle were rounded up and then divided by brand. Sam apparently was an earthy, get things done kind of guy, as described in his
You’d think the Bishops would have stayed put, having a good thing going in the
Owens Valley about 1907 - OAC Photo
NO. 208 SAN FRANCIS RANCH - In 1861, Samuel A. Bishop, his wife, and party left
Location: 3 mi SW of Bishop at intersection of