Heading south on 395 past Bishop and Big Pine to the next stop at Camp Independence, named so because it was dedicated on July 4th as a military base camp for the Owens Valley and the disputes between whites and Paiutes. We should remember that the war between the states was well underway and that most competent officers and trained enlisted had left for the conflict to the east.
The parade grounds (mid 1870's) CSMM photo
As is often the case, war may bear little influence on an inevitable outcome, over time. In this instance of battles between Paiutes and settlers, the Paiutes had retaken control of the
Living conditions at the outset of
The officer’s quarters building was relocated to town and still exists today.
Plaque inscription: No. 349
At the request of settlers, Colonel George Evans led a military expedition to this site on July 4, 1862. Hence its name "
E of intersection of