There aren’t many places left in the
Originally this site was a ‘rancheria’ (Indian Village) of the tribe now often called Fernandeno, and was a gathering place for thousands of years prior to the Spanish muscling in in the late 1700’s. Natural spring water at the site was the attraction.
The original private owners of what was a 4460 acre grant were three Mission Indians and their families when the Mexican government dissolved the Missions in 1834. Raising cattle and simple crops their successors fell on progressively harder times, or got gold fever, and they sold out to Vincente de la Ossa in 1849.
It’s interesting to come to know that almost all of the vaqueros of the region were Native Americans, and that the cattle they rounded up annually to a rodeo were slaughtered mainly for their hides and tallow for the trade ships, and there was way too much meat to eat or preserve.
Plaque inscription (local plaque):NO. 689
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places: NPS-71000142